Friday, January 05, 2007

Birds and Blossoms


These small wall hangings (under 30" square) were done as part of a challenge for our quilt guild's show.

We had to use certain fabrics and were free to add a few more of our choice.
The first quilt is mine (now owned by Marica Thaxton who loves having songbirds come to her garden). I added a print with red background with features small birds and twiggy branches, a lavender "fluffy" blossom print, and a pale batik background. I appliqued the bird and three-dimensional blossoms....and in the border corners I have used three dimensional, folded "flying geese" that "point" and pull the eye around the outside. There are also several "button blossoms"
in the piece.

The lower one shows how the main challenge fabric appeared....leaves of chard by Kaffe Fassett...done in red-orange and orchid on a brown background. (So , can you tell I love fabrics?) This wallhanging was done by my friend Paula Mariedaughter.

No comments: